Only 2% left to summon Diego Maradona. Napoli’s chances of winning soared to 98%.
Napoli won a 2-0 win over Sassuolo in the 23rd round of Italian Serie A in the 2022-23 season held at Mapei Stadium in Sassuolo, 메이저놀이터 Italy on the 18th at 4:45 am (Korean time). Napoli added 3 points to widen the gap with 2nd place Inter Milan (44 points) to 18 points, keeping first place in the league (62 points).
Aces also shined. Leading the Napoli attack were Hvitsa Kvarachhelia and Victor Osimen. Kvarachhelia scored from the half-line in the 13th minute with an amazing solo play that overcame several defenses with dribbles. In the 33rd minute of the first half, Osimen used his physical strength to overcome the defensive interference and accurately kicked the ball between the goalkeeper and the goalpost from an angle.
Kim Min-jae was also great. Kim Min-jae blocked Sassuolo’s sharp counterattacks several times, contributing to Napoli’s three consecutive scoreless matches. In the 28th minute of the second half, Napoli’s attack continued with his tenacity to catch the ball that almost flowed outside the sideline in a set piece situation.
Victory got closer. Napoli had to come down from the top over the past few seasons, failing to show their back in the second half despite good early momentum. It’s different this time. After losing against Inter Milan, the first game of the second half, they are consolidating their lead with seven consecutive wins in the league.
The downfall of rival teams also played a part. Juventus collapsed to 10th place with a 15-point cut from Napoli’s crushing defeat and ‘accounting manipulation scandal’. AC Milan has also lost 4th place to AS Roma since mid-January without a win in 4 league games (1 draw and 3 losses). Here, Inter Milan also stagnated with a draw in the last game, bringing Napoli closer to the Scudetto.
Now, only 2% of Maradona’s glory remains. The American statistical media ‘Five Thirty Eight’ raised the odds of Napoli winning from 96% to 98%. As there is no sign of sluggishness like in previous years, it is increasingly likely that Napoli will rise to the top of the league for the first time in 33 years since the 1989-90 season.